Sunday, February 08, 2009

Surf's up for The View

A STAGE-diving disaster has not deterred The View’s Kyle Falconer from repeating the stunt on the band’s forthcoming tour.

The frontman has a reputation for leaping from the stage into the audience at the band’s gigs – but at a Scottish show in December he accidentally broke the nose of the fan he landed on.

Ewan Ross, aged 28, was smacked in the face by Kyle’s head but there were no hard feelings. The band invited him and his mates to an exclusive after-show party as an apology.

And it hasn’t put Kyle off stage-diving when he plays Wolverhampton’s Wulfrun Hall on February 18.

‘‘I’m sure I’ll be crowd-surfing in the future,’’ he grins. ‘‘As long as you give anyone who gets hurt a couple of backstage passes, they’re alright. Give ‘em a beer and say sorry – it’s all good.

‘‘I’ve had it done to me before. That’s just the price you pay. I’ve had my nose broken twice at gigs where I’ve been in the audience. As a performer I’ve had my clothes ripped off when I’ve leapt into the crowd!’’

The View are no strangers to controversy.

In 2007 Kyle was fined £1.000 after admitting possessing cocaine and the band was banned from all 300 Travelodges in the UK after allegedly causing damage. An American tour had to be cancelled when Kyle was refused a visa due to the cocaine charge.

It’s something he now bitterly regrets.

‘‘I really, really want to get back across to America,” he says. “We’ve played there before but I didn’t get the chance to explore. We’ve applied again and we’re hoping to get in. There’s a 50/50 chance but we’ve had no word back yet.’’

There’s a Stateside element on The View’s new album, Which Bitch?, reviewed in the Mercury last week.

An American orchestra helped fill out the sound on some of the songs.

“It ended up sounding great so we broadened our horizons to see if he could work on other tracks,” says Kyle.

‘‘There will definitely be orchestration on our next album.” AC

By Andrew Coleman, Sunday Mercury8th February 2009

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home